1 large onion, thinly sliced into rings
1 1/2 pound flank steak, fat trimmed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tbs. freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tbs. peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 tbs. toasted sesame oil
black pepper to taste.
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
4 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. ginger juice (grate and squeeze fresh ginger)
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
4 tsp. thai sweet chili sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (use less if you don't like spicy foods)
juice of 2 limes
14 fresh mint leaves finely chopped
1 bunch of green onions chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 bunch of watercress (or green leaf lettuce)
1/4 cup chopped roasted salted peanuts (optional)
1. Coat the inside of crock with nonstick cooking spray and arrange onion slices over the bottom. Make very shallow horizontal slits against the grain across the top of the steak and lay on top of onion.
2. In a small bowl combine the garlic, sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, sesame oil, and pepper. Pour the mixture over the steak, making sure to coat all exposed surfaces well. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours, checking at 4 1/2 hours until tender when cut with a knife.
3. Cook pasta, drain, and rinse under cold running water.
4. Place vinegar, soy sauce, ginger juice, sesame oil, chili sauce, cayanne and lime juice in a container with a lid and shake to combine. Place the pasta in a shallow boil and toss with mint, green onions, and cilantro. Toss with the dressing. You can let the pasta sit at room temp or refrigerate until the meat is done.
5. Remove meat to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. On a platter or salad plate make a bed of the watercress (or lettuce) and bile the noodles on top. Cut the steak across the grain into 1/2 inch thick slices and lay over noodles. (sprinkle with peanuts if you choose).
It's definitely not your easy, toss in a crock pot recipe...but this is seriously so tasty, I can't wait to make it again!